Today is Earth Day 2014. Earth Day was founded by Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson in 1970 as a grassroots demonstration supporting environmental issues. Millions of people participate each year, and it has developed into a day that inspires awareness of and appreciation for the earth’s environment.
Like many of you, Nelson-Jameson has incorporated both sustainable and green practices into our everyday functioning. We feel that it’s the responsible thing to do---not just as a corporate entity, but as a distribution partner in a global supply chain. Our core business model of goods procurement - providing a wide line of products in multiple categories from hundreds of manufacturers - naturally facilitates a reduced logistical footprint through consolidated shipping, receiving and packaging.
Additionally, our manufacturers and customers benefit from the resulting cost-savings advantage that is gained from these distribution standards and processes. So basically, it’s a win-win.
- Recycling supplier/customer packaging materials and pallets that pass through our warehouses as a function of the normal course of trade.
- Recycling pallet wrap and shredded paper for packing outgoing shipments.
- Encouraging customers and suppliers to utilize electronic methods for receiving purchase orders, invoices, quotes, order confirmation and other order statements.
- Utilizing electric fax and invoice processing.
- Banking as much as possible through ACH methods.
Nelson-Jameson has also adapted a number of internal sustainable and green practices. These include:
- Recycling glass, plastic and aluminum within our building.
- Placing most warehouse and office lighting on motion-timers.
- Eliminating disposable plates, bowls and tableware in our break rooms. We’ve replaced them with reusable dishware, silverware and an energy-efficient dishwasher.
Although we execute our green practices year-round, Earth Day is a special reminder of the higher purpose behind our efforts. Our operations team is continually vetting new, innovative ways in which we can increase our company’s social responsibility through sustainability to build a better future.